Saturday, August 21, 2010

Hi! And welcome to my Blog

This is my first Post, but not my first blog. I am trying this blog thing again, I started one once but never really updated it.
My goal for this blog is to update it at least once a day, I am sure there will be a few days I skip, but I will do my best to update it as much as I can find time to do.
So a little about me. I have decided to try blogging again because I have been reading a lot of blogs and they have inspired me. I made a rule for myself, until I get into a rhythm of blogging everyday. The rule is I am not going to allow myself to read any of the blogs I read almost everyday until I have updated my own blog. I figure I have the time to read blogs so why shouldn't I have time to update one.

My blog is going to be about me (obviously), but me through what I eat and how I exercise. I named my blog Eat. Run. Garden. because I love to eat and cook, I like to run, and I try to grow my own food in the summer time in my Garden. I am a 25 year old women, I have a husband, a dog, a cat and a house. I am in the process of switching careers. My "career" right now is manager at a burger and fry place (that makes it hard to eat healthy all of the time), I tried photography for a while but finding the time to grow my career and make money to support that growing career didn't work out so well for me. Hopefully I will soon become an elementary school teacher, I am starting classes in September!

A little about this blog!

On Eating:
I love to cook and I love to eat, I was a vegetarian for 7 years until I started to eat chicken again and very, very recently I have started eating some beef, but I will only eat grass feed locally grown beef and not very often. Meat still kind of grosses me out so I still usually chose the vegetarian options if there is one.
I try as much as possible to eat locally and seasonally but I wouldn't consider myself a "locavore" or anything. I try to eat healthy but I will almost always try anything once.
There is one food I do not like: I do hate cilantro, I can't stand the taste. I don't know what it is but to me cilantro tastes like dirty soap, which is one reason I find this site quite funny.


On Running:
Freshman year of college I started running and I liked it, I was running 2.5 miles a day by mid summer. Then school started back up and a combination of being bored with running (I wasn't pushing myself and I set no new goals once I reached 2.5 miles) and become really busy with school and work (I was taking 6 or 7 classes and working 20 or more hours a week) lead me to stop running. I would, every once in a while, try to go out for a run. By "every once in a while" I mean once every couple of weeks which meant that I couldn't run as far as I use to be able to and I would get frustrated. It wasn't as fun as it use to be. Because I pretty much stopped excising but kept eating the same I started to gain weight. I gained 35 pounds! in about 4 years, so it was a slow gain but it was still a big gain.
Last July (July 2009) I decided to do something about it, I started running again and I joined Calorie King. I have lost 25lbs and I am started to run 5k's. I feel so much better, I would like to lose another 10-15lbs but I am sure that will happen as long as I can try and continue to eat healthy and excise.
I have started making running goals for myself and I enjoy running again! Right now I can run 3 miles at about a 10:30/mi pace. I have 2 goals for myself I want to run a 5k in under 30 mins (my PR as of right now is 31:26 <-- I did that hungover too!) and I want to I am going to run the New Bedford 1/2 marathon in March. I know I can accomplish both of these goals while having fun.
My next 5k is on September 12th! I can't wait, it is the same course I ran for my first 5k.


On Gardening:
In 2008 my husband and I bought a house (we weren't married yet but we are now), that summer I had a small, small garden: 1 zucchini plant, 2 tomatoes, and a basil plant. The next year I made the garden way bigger and it was great, I had lettuce and herbs and zucchinis, carrots, tomatoes, 1 green pepper, kale, raspberries and more! It was great, I also started a gardening blog which I updated about 6 times.
This year I still had the same size garden but I had way less time to garden, I was working 45+ hours, I was planning a wedding and I was trying to run 10-15 miles a week so I still have some stuff just not nearly as much as last year. I try to eat from my garden first, then find locally grow food and then go to the grocery store, this is why I am including my garden in my blog.

So this is what my blog is going to be about. I hope you are still with me after that loooong post. Thanks coming and Welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment